Cultural experiences and funny musings by two twenty-somethings living abroad
Facebook. We all use it. We all use it a lot. But sometimes, there are things about Facebook that just really annoy us! Here are just a few of our favourite things that rile us about that online book of faces.
– In other words, a status update which is intentionally vague (and usually sad) and prompts friends to ask “what’s up?” You know, those kind of statuses like “Sick of this” or “Why does life always make you feel like you’ve hit a brick wall?” Guys, it’s usually better to just chat with someone rather than air it all out on Facebook!
– This is a real pet peeve of mine that I only seem to find on Facebook. People who constantly mix up there/they’re/their, two/too/to, your/you’re and the like. It can sometimes lead to some unintentionally embarrassing statuses too, such as: “I’d rather be pissed off, then pissed on.”
– A.K.A. the people who feel the need to publicise how amazing their relationship is all of the time. We don’t really need to hear all about it, nor do we really want to know that you’ll be getting jiggy tonight. The number of times I’ve had to clean my carpet because I’ve been sick from all this soppiness is incredible – stop doing it!
Personal status updates
– I wouldn’t really say this is annoying, but it certainly can be awkward. I’ve often found myself in a bit of a dilemma when I see statuses like “R.I.P. Nan, going to miss you”. I mean, what do you do when you see it? Do you “like” it? What sort of message does a “like” send? Support? Condolence? Schadenfreude?
– No, I don’t want to play Farmville. You’ve asked me 100 times already and the answer is still no.
Taking photos of food
– Because we’ve never seen sausage rolls before…
– For some reason, some people thought it would be an amazing idea to sign up their pet dog or cat for Facebook. Suddenly, you start getting friend requests from the likes of Fido and Moggy, who start developing a liking for online farming and bombard you with yet more Farmville requests. Their status updates are a real variety, ranging from the über-philosophical to plain and simple woofs and meows, or a random jumble of letters if they really did get themselves to the computer.
– Whilst you’re sifting through hundreds of notifications (usually from Farmville), sometimes, that one random person who you went to school with and never spoke to in real life strikes the need to talk with you. Most follow the same format:
o how r u?
o Good thanks, you?
o yh gud thnx
– and usually just ends at that. Sometimes it’s not too bad, but other times it can be with people who are quite important, but are just too busy to chat with. Fortunately, the “seen” notification will let that other person know you’re ignoring them and will then start up a nice pleasant argument with you!
And, let’s be honest. Do we really need all this stress?